Thursday, November 1, 2012

Youth

What do I see as I walk around today's collage and high schools? What do I feel when I walk into a classroom? It is a uneasy tension on my part, as I realize I am not where I belong. But what do I see? I see a sickness, a plague: Not some cough drop cold, no this is a sickness that requires only the most dedication to fight back. There is no easy way to fight this infection back, no common cure, and the cure varies between person. What is this omnipresence sickness that takes our young in such numbers? The answer my friends is the mindset of the youth.

When I was younger, I was taught in school that racism was stopped. I learned say "No to drugs", and that they have there consequences. I was taught to preserve myself sexually for a mate one day. I was taught right from wrong when I committed a sin. What do I see now though, grown older and in the world I was taught about? I see much of the opposite, and to no surprise. Its the "I don't give a F***", "Its all good" mindsets that poison our ways of life. Never before have I seen such a support to legalize drugs, Support abortion and even Legalize Prostitution. However, I can't really blame it fully on youth in general, look to the leaders. Drugs, Sex, Homicide, suicide, pleasure and money are all you may see playing through the local radio station. As the beats become more intense, the rhymes more clever, you can get hooked to the "hook" of a song simply because of its flow, not message.

Granted, Young people tend to be more open minded to ideas and cultural normals. However, as one who attempts to see the side from both angles, I'm see a constant "give me" from many young people today. The amount of care about committing wrongs, and lack of respect for authority is scary, at least to me. As someone who walks among them I've have the privilege, or not, to hear there conversations, and i am constantly, though diminishing, shocked by the subjects sometimes.

Well, for all bad, there has to be some good. It does ones soul good to talk and converse with someone who cares. Not only does it strengthen your beliefs, but energizes you. Have you ever left a conversation with someone that believes much like you, and can strengthen you up? Its exciting, and energizing. Though that number of people is small, it represents a large majority of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment